At this point I am on track with my action
research plan. I have completed some of
the research pertaining to the impact of summer school on learning; however, I
feel I need to complete more readings. I
have not been able to secure the district data I need to make comparisons, however;
I do not believe this is imperative in the scope of the project.
In addition to conducting research, I was
also appointed summer school principal.
This afforded me the opportunity to control the focus and intent of each
session. Roundtable discussions were
held with teachers, interventionists, etc. to set criteria for summer school
invitation and identify student candidates.
Any student who was failing, flagged for retention, and/or below grade
level was required to attend. Classroom
teachers collected pertinent information such as DRA levels, math baseline
scores, etc.
Summer
school was scheduled in two 3-week blocks with one week off between sessions. The majority of students attended the first session
every day; however, attendance varied widely during the second session. Because attendance fluctuations were
anticipated, summer school teachers were instructed to emphasize mastery of
individual levels identified on end of year assessments. In other words, we did not expect teachers to
necessarily ‘move’ students, rather, not let students regress. Progress monitoring was conducted once per
session using running records for reading and a developmental assessment for
the math intervention program. Students
took home progress reports at the end of the second session. Preliminary examinations of the information on
the progress monitoring indicated the majority of students did, in fact,
maintain mastery. At this time, classroom
teachers are completing beginning of the year assessments. Once that data arrives, I will be able to
compare and contrast data to the beginning of the year 2011, end of year 2012,
and beginning of the year 2012.
No comments:
Post a Comment